Jul 09 2012
KFD Warns Residents of Cooking Fires
Monday, 09 July 2012

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

            No injuries were reported by the Kodiak Fire Department after the second kitchen fire in a week. The latest occurred Saturday in an apartment building on Selief Lane.

            Deputy Fire Chief Jim Mullican says the grease fire in an upstairs unit had been put out by the building's automatic sprinkler system by the time responders arrived. The blaze caused about $5,000 in damage to the unit, with an additional loss of about $500 in personal belongings. He said firefighters stayed on the scene for about an hour assisting residents after responding to the alarm.

            Mullican warns that grease fires can flare up easily, especially if the stove top, burners, oven and broilers are not kept clean. He recommends sliding a pot or pan's lid on if it's a stovetop fire, or to turn off the heat and leaving the door closed if the fire is in the oven.

            He says not to try and fight a fire yourself if it's too big, and to leave the home immediately and call 911 from a neighbor's phone or cell phone.