A fire Sunday evening destroyed the home of a Kodiak couple on Spruce
Cape. Bayside Fire Chief Bob Himes said both his department and the Kodiak Fire
Department responded shortly before 6 p.m. to 2483 Spruce Cape Road and found a
mobile home fully engulfed, with flames coming out of all the windows and doors.
He said the
occupants, Dominick Oberle and Nicole McMorrow, escaped unharmed,
after seeing smoke and flames coming from the rear bedroom of the home. Himes
says except for a safe with their important papers, the couple lost all of
office of the Red Cross has put Oberle and McMorrow in temporary housing and
has provided them with extra clothing. Anyone who can help the couple should contact the Red Cross at 486-4040.
the fire was endangering other structures in the Spruce Court Mobile Home Park,
and initial fire-fighting efforts concentrated on keeping them from catching
fire. He said they were then able to knock down the fire enough so that
firefighters could enter the trailer and extinguish the flames. He said it took
a little less than an hour to put the fire out.
Damage to the
building and its contents is estimated to be in excess of 150-thousand dollars.
the fire is believed to have started in the electrical panel. The occupants
told him that they had been having electrical problems. The trailer was built
with aluminum wiring, which Himes says has been associated with other mobile
home fires in the past.