One person was hospitalized and two
others treated and released this past weekend because they ate local clams
tainted with Paralytic Shellfish Poison harvested from local beaches.
Department of Environmental Conservation spokesman Mike Hyre said that the butter
clams were gathered at Chiniak and Middle bays and Mayflower Beach.
PSP, as it is known, is highly
dangerous and can lead to death if the level of toxin consumed is great enough.
include tingling fingers and other body parts, dizziness, numbness, and
shortness of breath. In extreme cases breathing is labored as muscles needed to
work the lungs shut down--eventually leading to death.
that people on Kodiak Island should not
eat locally caught clams, as there are no beaches certified as safe for shellfish
DEC notes that
the clams and shellfish you eat in a restaurant have been carefully tested and
certified as safe from PSP.
In an unrelated incident, one person in Juneau is hospitalized in stable condition after eating tainted shellfish from Auke Bay.